Chai Spiced Carrot Cake
This masala chai infused carrot cake is beyond perfect. With all its warm goodness and luscious cream cheese frosting, it’s a melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness you deserve.
Cook Time: 40 minutes + 40 minutes bake time
Serves: 8-10 people
For the cake
1/4 cup boiling water
4 tbsp THT Assam Black Tea
2 + 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp green cardamom, ground
500 g carrots, peeled
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
½ cup vegetable oil
For the frosting
227 g cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 cups icing sugar, sifted
Crushed walnuts, for decoration
For the cake
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C. Butter a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Pour boiling water over the tea leaves and let this sit aside for 10 minutes. Strain the tea leaves and reserve the water.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and green cardamom together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the granulated sugar, brown sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and tea until combined. Using a spatula fold in the carrots. Fold in the flour mixture and gently mix only until well-combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan and bake the cake for about 35 to 40 minutes
For the frosting,
- Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add icing sugar, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Cover the cooled cake with the frosting using an offset spatula and decorate with crushed walnuts.