Earl Grey Lavender Cupcakes
Dainty cakes always look pretty at a high tea table; but nothing seems more delicious and enticing than these Earl Grey infused cupcakes with a rich honey frosting.
For the cupcake –
½ cup butter, at room temperature
2 eggs, at room temperature
1¾ cup plain flour
1½ tsp baking powder
2 tsp dried lavender
½ tsp salt
1 cup castor sugar
¼ cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk
5 tbsp Earl Grey loose leaf tea
For the honey frosting –
2/3 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
3 tbsp butter, at room temperature
¼ cup honey
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 cups icing sugar
- In a medium sized glass bowl, combine plain flour, baking powder, dried lavender and salt. Set aside.
- Heat up the milk and add the Earl Grey tea leaves into it. Stir and let it steep for at least 10 minutes. Once done, strain out the tea leaves and let the milk come down to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 175 ⁰C.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter with an electric mixer until soft and creamy. Add icing sugar, honey and vanilla. Beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients mix and tea infused milk to the butter mixture. Gently beat after each addition until the batter is combined well.
- Take a muffin pan and line it with colourful cupcake liner. Fill each cup about ¾ full with the batter. Once all the cups are filled, gently tap the pan on the table to release any trapped air bubbles and smoothen the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until done. Allow it to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat together the mascarpone cheese, butter, honey and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until everything has combined. It needs to reach a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Transfer the prepared frosting to a piping bag and pipe the cooled cupcakes with it. Sprinkle some dried lavender over the cupcakes as a final garnish.