Ginger Tea Ice Cream
Sri Lanka’s finest tea features in this ice cream recipe. It has loads of warmth and smokiness despite being a frozen dessert fit for any time of the year.
360ml whole milk
4tbsp Imboolpitiya Estate Ceylon FBOP loose leaf tea
100g fresh ginger, sliced
2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a saucepan, heat up the whole milk with sugar, and ginger over medium heat. Don’t let the milk come up to boil. It should be hot enough to melt the sugar. Once all the sugar has melted, take it off the heat.
- Add the tea leaves to this mixture, stir and allow it to steep for five minutes (or more for stronger flavour).
- Strain the mix to discard the tea leaves and ginger.
- Allow it to cool completely before pouring into an ice cream maker. Follow the ice cream maker instructions and allow it to churn until set.
- Store in a freezer until service.
- Before serving, scoop into bowls and garnish with topping of your choice.